NAIROBI, Kenya, July 19- Harambee Starlets goalkeeper trainer Lawrence Webo has been asked by the Football Kenya Federation top brass to step aside from his duties at the national team in the wake of allegations of a sex scandal in the team.
The decision was arrived at after a meeting that went late into the night on Monday, just as the team resumed camp readying for a trip to Spain where they have been invited for a tournament to prepare for their African Cup of Nations campaign in November.
“We have not sacked but asked him (Webo) to step aside as he has been adversely mentioned. As a federation we have launched in-house investigations over the same and if he is found guilty, then he leaves the team. If he is innocent, then he continues with his duties as usual,” FKF President Nick Mwendwa told Capital Sport.
According to a report on sections of the media, Webo is alleged to have influenced dropping of certain players from the team ‘after they refused his advances’.
It is also alleged that the custodian who also carries out the same duties with Kenyan Premier League side Posta Rangers gave preferential treatment to certain players who gave in to his demands.
However, Harambee Stars team manager Doreen Nabwire said all those allegations are untrue.
“No, there’s nothing like that. There is no truth whatsoever in those allegations,” Nabwire said.
Speaking to Capital Sport, Webo maintained his innocence, saying he will step aside as he awaits for the truth to come out.
“I am shocked to be honest. There is absolutely no truth in whatever is being peddled. I am a professional and I do my work professionally with utmost respect for everyone. As far as I know, I have no influence whatsoever in selection of players because that is a prerogative of the coach. I don’t know why anyone would start a rumour like that”
“I met with the president yesterday at a meeting that went late into the night and I agreed to step aside. Ultimately the truth will come out. I won’t say much for now until the investigations are done,” he offered.
Mwendwa however is not definite as to how long the investigations will take but has assured “in the soonest time possible”, a solution will be found.
Webo has been the keepers’ trainer in the team since last year, working alongside David Ouma and his assistant Mary Adhiambo.
Ouma who is the only other male member of the technical bench spoke to Capital Sport and said the allegations are untrue and hopes for a quick solution as the team prepares for their first ever appearance in the Cup of Nations.