LONDON, United Kingdom, July 5 – Manchester United defender Chris Smalling has been taken to hospital in Bali after he became unwell, fell and hit his head.
Manchester United have confirmed the 26-year-old England centre-back fainted after feeling the effects of food poisoning on the Indonesian provincial island.
The club said: “We can clarify Chris Smalling has had food poisoning during his holiday which resulted in him fainting on Sunday. He was taken to hospital and is now feeling fine.”
Sources close to the player have told Sky Sports News HQ that, contrary to reports, the incident did not involve a surfboard nor jellyfish stings.
A picture showing Smalling signing a Manchester United shirt from a hospital bed was circulated on social media and sources have confirmed the man in the photograph is the United defender.
Smalling is photographed with bandages around his head, a brace around his neck and further bandages around his wrist.
Smalling is on holiday with his girlfriend – the model Sam Cooke – following England’s embarrassing defeat to Iceland in the last 16 of Euro 2016.
United say Smalling will report back for pre-season training later this month.
-Stort by Sky Sports-