Football Football

Bandari run riot against Ushuru to end winless streak

A Bandari FC fan celebrating.PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya
A Bandari FC fan celebrating.PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya

NAIROBI, Kenya May 21- Bandari began their post-Twahir Muhiddin life with a thumping 4-0 victory over Ushuru FC in a SportPesa Premier League match played at the Moi Sports Centre Kasarani Stadium on Saturday .

Former Gor Mahia striker Danny Sserunkuma might have just started the journey back to his menacing form as he produced a decent display with a brace and an assist as the dockers banished an eight-match winless streak.

The dockers had a brilliant start to the game with Sserunkuma hitting the back of the net with a decent shot from the right after beautifully bringing down a long pass from Felly Mulumba.

Ken Kenyatta’s side had not had the strongest of starts and were caught off by a Bandari side desperate for wins after going for eight matches without one.

Ushuru however had a chance to level matters three minutes after Bandari had taken the lead, but Liberian import Rosevelt Blaty could not put in a dangerous cross from the right after being put through by Kennedy Oduor.

The visitors had a great chance to double their tally in the 18th minute from the penalty spot after Shabaan Kenga was brought down by David Otieno, but Edwin Lavatasa could not take advantage as his spot kick was saved by a full flight Shabaan Odhoji.

Ten minutes later, the former Nakuru All Stars custodian pulled a brilliant save to spring up and tip over a wonderfully taken shot by David King’atua.

However, he could not replicate the same tempo in the 38th minute, this time Anthony ‘Muki’ Kimani trying his luck from almost the same distance as King’atua, to see the ball slide past Odhoji’s palms and hit the underside of the bar on its way in.

Ushuru, who had lacked urgency and intensity to push and threaten Bandari, came close two minutes later with Blaty forcing Bandari custodian Wilson Obungu to a point blank save after stretching to meet an Aziz Okaka cross.

They were made to pay for that missed chance with Sserunkuma getting his second from almost the same distance he picked up his first.

Kimani floated in a freekick from the right to the far post with Andrew Waisswa racing to meet in and slap it back into the area for Sserunkuma to hit home.

Odhoji was incensed at his defense which had been caught napping for the second time by the same man inside the box.

In the second period, Bandari kept the same rhythm and ten minutes after the restart, Lavatsa atoned for his earlier penalty miss as he beat Odhoji calmly from a swiftly executed counter attack.

Kimani lifted the ball beautifully over an onrushing Rodgers Ochieng before spreading it wide to Sserunkuma who sent Lavatsa through first time with a nifty touch.

The pint-sized attacker had a chance to complete a hat-trick but he got a little nudge on the back as he prepared to pull the trigger six yards out from a Shabaan Kenga pass.

With the hosts being outplayed, Kenyatta sunk quietly into his chair, even the smallest of strengths to urge the side on failing.

Nelson Marasowe had a decent effort from range saved by Wilson Obungu as the taxmen attempted to pick out at least a consolation.

-Tusker maintain lead-

Tusker FC midfielder Jackson Macharia (right) in action against Sony Sugar FC.PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu
Tusker FC midfielder Jackson Macharia (right) in action against Sony Sugar FC.PHOTO/Timothy Olobulu.

Earlier on, Tusker FC fell short of their target of opening up a four point buffer at the top when they were held to a one-all draw by a hard fighting Sony Sugar.

The game was delayed for 25 minutes with the home side Tusker having failed to organize for police presence in time.

James Situma scored Tusker’s goal in the 27th minute after tapping home unmarked from an Osborne Monday corner.

The Brewers had managed to control the tempo of the game with Monday pulling strings in midfield alongside Humphrey Mieno.

Victor Ademba should have taken Sony back on level terms ten minutes from the breather but his shot after being played through by Boniface Muchiri was well saved by David Okello.

The Sugar Millers however got the much deserved equalizer in the 67th minute through former Tusker man Fredrick Onyango who shot low into the far post from a Samwel Olare pass.

Victor Ayugi almost gifted Tusker with a late winner in added time with Noah Wafula intercepting his attempted header back to his keeper, but luckily the former AFC Leopards man put the effort wide.