Football Football

Former Ajax boss de Boer moves closer to Everton move

Shares
Former Ajax boss Frank de Boer's representatives held talks with Everton-PHOTO/DAILYMAIL

Former Ajax boss Frank de Boer’s representatives held talks with Everton-PHOTO/DAILYMAIL

LIVERPOOL, United Kingdom May 14- Frank de Boer made his pitch to become Roberto Martinez’s successor as Everton manager on Friday. Sportsmail understands that talks between the former Holland defender’s representative Guido Albers and Goodison officials took place on Friday.

De Boer is available after stepping down from his role as Ajax manager this week and is interested in the job.

Albers is likely to be a pivotal figure in Everton’s search for a new boss. He also represents Southampton manager Ronald Koeman, who remains Everton’s No 1 target to replace Martinez.

De Boer is looking for a new challenge after leaving Ajax and believes Goodison Park is the right destination for him.

His twin brother Ronald said: ‘Frank is very much interested in the job. He has taken his coaching career step by step. He started with the Under 12s, then the Under 19s and then he took over from Martin Jol (as senior Ajax boss).

‘He is now ready for the next step. Frank has already showed with his five and a half years at Ajax he brings something extra into the game.

‘The Everton board, of course, have to agree with it and there are a lot of other candidates who are capable of doing the job. We will wait and see.’

One of those, Koeman, has distanced himself from the post, saying he will hold talks over a new deal at St Mary’s. ‘I am manager of Southampton, and as I mentioned last week, everybody knows I have one more year (on my current) contract,’ said Koeman.

‘I got the same question about my future last week but we will sit together, analyse and talk about the future.

‘It is important to continue, let’s do our job this weekend and there is time next week before I go on holiday to talk about the future of the club.’

Tim Howard believes Everton’s players must take some responsibility for Martinez’s sacking. The veteran keeper will make his 414th and final appearance for Everton against Norwich on Sunday before joining Colorado Rapids in July.

‘I think we have underachieved this season,’ said Howard. ‘The players have probably let ourselves down. Any time a manager loses his job, they can’t replace 22 of us, which is probably unfortunate for them. They are always blamed.’

Story courtesy DailyMail

Shares

Comments