Football Football

Kompany to miss start of new season?

Shares
Manchester City's Vincent Kompany applauds the fans at the end of the game

Manchester City’s Vincent Kompany applauds the fans at the end of the game

UNITED KINGDOM, May 9 – Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany may still be sidelined at the start of next season following a report that he is set for a four-month injury lay-off

The 30-year-old, who has endured a plethora of injuries in recent seasons, limped out of City’s Champions League semi-final second leg defeat to Real Madrid last week after just 10 minutes.

While City appear to be keeping quiet on the issue, a former Belgium national team physio who is reputed to be close to Kompany has delivered a grim diagnosis.

“I saw Kompany on Thursday,” Lieven Maesschalck told Belgium’s Radio One.

“It was very clear – he has a complete tear of the slender thigh muscle. He has been operated on yesterday and it will take about four months to get match-fit again.”

The news comes after Belgium captain took to Facebook on Sunday to confirm that he would miss Euro 2016.

“I trust my friends and team-mates to do well and do us proud at the next European Championships in France,” he said.

“I am now officially their most fervent supporter and I will be there to support them.”

Despite the setback, Kompany has insisted that he will remain positive.

He asserted: “I could fear for my career, as others may do. I could give up. That is not me. I decide on my future.”

Shares

Comments