Football Football

Golden boy Tuyisenge does it again as Gor move third

Gor Mahia fans celebrating after Jacques Tuyisenge double helped the team beat Thika United.PHOTO/courtesy.
Gor Mahia fans celebrating after Jacques Tuyisenge double helped the team beat Thika United in a past SPL.PHOTO/FILE

NAIROBI, May 7 – Gor Mahia’s swift comeback in the SportPesa Premier League continued as the defending champions climbed up to third on the log after dismissing high flying Muhoroni Youth 2-0 at Kisumu’s Moi Stadium on Saturday.

George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo sent ten-men K’Ogalo ahead in the sixth minute after a lovely one-two with Ugandan Khalid Aucho before golden boy Jacques Tuyisenge found the back of the net in the second half to excite the Green Army who travelled to the Lake side city to rally behind their team.

The win saw Gor move to third on 20 points, four behind leaders Tusker FC and two adrift second placed Mathare United who host Western Stima Sunday.

Coming into the clash, Muhoroni Youth head coach James Omondi retained the winning squad against Sofapaka in the KPL Top 8 cup while his counterpart Jose Marcelo made three changes from the team that beat Ushuru 1-0 in the Cup competition, bringing on keeper Boniface Oluoch, defender Eric Ouma and winger Innocent Wafula.

The early kick-off started with a minute of silence to honour the death of former Kenya First Lady Mama Lucy Kibaki who was buried Saturday in Othaya, Nyeri County.

Gor, who started the season slowly, showed early intentions in the one sided first half, confidently and patiently building from the back to pin down Muhoroni on their area.

The possession gave a chance K’Ogalo to attack from the flanks in the aid of youngster Ouma and Wafula with their work rate almost paying off in the third minute when skipper Musa Mohammed connected home, only to be flagged off side.

However, as the saying goes when it rains it pours, the goal indeed came three minutes later when Muhoroni defence lost possession in the midfield to see Rwandan Tuyisenge lead the build up to set up Aucho, who inturn exchanged passes with Odhiambo before the later sliced the ball home despite being sandwiched by two defenders.

Gor nearly found the second in the 17th minute when Odhiambo set up Wafula on the right with the winger doing well to turn around Muhoroni defender Paul Michika but his cross was deflected for a fruitless corner.

Minutes later, Odhiambo was provided a perfect opportunity to double the lead and find his second from a Godfrey Walusimbi delivery only for the unmarked 2010 Footballer of the Year to head wide with only the keeper Faruk Shikalo to beat at the far left corner.

The hosts had their first chance in the 21st minute when Gor custodian Oluoch tipped over Wellington Ochieng’s header before the keeper calmly saved Kennedy Rono’s feeble shot.

Aucho could have rounded off the first half on a high but his well calculated long range shot went inches wide as Gor’s only one shot on target through Odhiambo separated the two sides at the breather.

Muhoroni returned to dominate the early proceedings after Gor did well in the opening half to shut down their danger man Wycliffe Ochomo who has sunk in nine goals to lead the top scorers chart this season.

Seven minutes into the second half, Muhoroni surged forward to force Musa Mohammed cut off a Moses Arita cross who had collected the pass from Ochomo.

But it was the visitors who were on the scoresheet again, this time through Tuyisenge famously known by his fans as ‘Jausenge’  who was picked up by Aucho to side step a Muhoroni defender before finishing off past Shikalo who had committed himself.

K’Ogalo suffered a blow in the 74th minute when Ernest Wendo was sent off for a second bookable offence but that did not deter them from holding on to their lead and pick their fifth win of the season.