LONDON, December 30 – Arsene Wenger has predicted plenty of activity by Arsenal in the transfer window as they look to continue their push for a first Premier League title since 2004.
The Gunners are perched at the top of the Premier League but it is only goal difference keeping them ahead of the season’s surprise package Leicester.
Wenger’s side hit back from a Boxing Day humiliation at Southampton to beat Bournemouth on Monday and next face Newcastle at the Emirates Stadium this weekend.
By then the January transfer window will have opened and, although refusing to confirm the club were close to signing Basle’s Mohamed Elneny, Wenger suggested they were keen to spend, especially considering long-term injuries to Danny Welbeck, Jack Wilshere and Francis Coquelin.
“I’ll be busy, that’s for sure,” the Frenchman said about his January activities.
“I’m already busy and I said already one month ago we are a bit short to deal with all the competitions we face, especially in midfield. We will be busy, yes.”
When asked specifically about Egypt international Elneny, Wenger was more coy amid speculation the 23-year-old had already undergone a medical: “You know more than I do,” he added.
“Unfortunately we cannot announce anything at the moment about this player because nothing has been concluded.”
With a squad still suffering the effects of injuries to key personnel, Wenger has also been linked in the English press with moves for former Manchester United striker Javier Hernandez and Victor Wanyama of Southampton.
While much has been made about who will arrive in north London during the window, Wenger admitted France international full-back Mathieu Debuchy may be allowed to leave.
The 30-year-old has fallen below Hector Bellerin in the pecking order having missed a large portion of last season due to two serious injuries.
Debuchy, who has started just twice in the league this season and been substituted both times, said earlier in December that he needs to play to get back into the France set-up ahead of the Euros and that he was seeking talks with Wenger to clarify his future.
But the Arsenal boss suggested on Wednesday that he was open to offers for the former Newcastle man.
“It’s not impossible,” he said when asked if Debuchy may leave the club in January, adding: “I’m happy if he stays but we’ll see.”