Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Features

BBC cut ties with Formula 1

Mercedes AMG Petronas driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain celebrates with the trophy after winning the United States Formula One Grand Prix and the Drivers Championships at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas on October 25, 2015. PHOTO/AFP

Mercedes AMG Petronas driver Lewis Hamilton of Britain celebrates with the trophy after winning the United States Formula One Grand Prix and the Drivers Championships at the Circuit of The Americas in Austin, Texas on October 25, 2015. PHOTO/AFP

LONDON, December 21- The British Broadcasting Corporation has ended its television contract with Formula 1 with immediate effect.

The BBC had a contract to air until 2018 but have decided to end their contract earlier in an attempt to address the £150 million shortfall in the 2016 budget.

Barbara Slater, the BBC’s director of sport, revealed that it was not a decision that was taken lightly.

“The current financial position of the BBC means some tough and unwanted choices have to be made,” Slater told the BBC.

“A significant chunk of BBC Sport’s savings target will be delivered through the immediate termination of our TV rights agreement for Formula 1.

“Any decision to have to stop broadcasting a particular sport or sporting event is hugely disappointing and taken reluctantly.

“There are no easy solutions; all of the options available would be unpopular with audiences.

“These are very challenging times for the BBC and sport is not immune to those financial pressures.”

Channel 4 is set to take over the broadcasting rights from the BBC from the start of the 2016 season, which kicks off in Australia on 15 March.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Last week, Formula 1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone cautioned the broadcaster about ending their contract early.

“They can’t leave the contract early,” he told Press Association Sport on Saturday.

“The bottom line is that they are cutting back on all types of sport and if we really, really, really had to, we’d say ‘you have got a contract and you better get on with it.’

“The Beeb have always done a very, very good job. I have no problem at all with them. It is just they can’t afford to continue with what they have done in the past.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved