Football Football

Nyamweya freed after police grilling

FKF president, Sam Nyamweya during Friday's AGM in Nairobi. PHOTO/JOE MIANO MUCHIRI
FKF president, Sam Nyamweya during Friday’s AGM in Nairobi. PHOTO/JOE MIANO MUCHIRI

NAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 17 – Football Kenya Federation President, Sam Nyamweya was released on Tuesday after six hours of grilling at the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in Nairobi, over the departure delay of Harambee Stars ahead of their 2018 World Cup second round; return leg pre-qualifier against Cape Verde.

The federation boss was being quizzed why the team had to travel at 8:40pm on the eve of the match despite the Ministry of Sports having released Sh17m for facilitation including paying the outstanding four-match allowances and refund of air tickets to foreign based players.

Nairobi CID boss, Nicholas Kamwende said the intention was to find out if someone was responsible for the team’s delay.

“Nyamweya gave his side of story and we have recorded it so we will here from the ministry of Sports side to found out who held the team hostage. If someone is found culpable then action will be taken but for now investigations are on,” Kamwende stated.

Nyamweya on the other hand, who took off at Nairobi’s CID in a tinted saloon car, blamed the ministry for the delay.

“We had sent our budget and travel arrangements to the Ministry of Sports thrice but there was no response. It forced the cancellation of Kenya Airways and Mauritius Airways flights which we had booked to depart on Friday night.

“The ministry sent Sh17m on Friday to Central bank who were to wire it to the federation three days later and that meant the team could not make it on time. The only option we had is to go on a chartered flight which the ministry accepted.

“Realising it was getting late; I had to persuade Central Bank to channel to us the money on Monday and they accepted. We used the money to pay players outstanding allowances and add further Sh8m to the company airline since they had declined to take off despite giving them a deposit of Sh7.6,” Nyamweya told Capital Sport.

Police had stormed Nyamweya’s residence in Karen in the morning only find the FKF boss had already presented himself to the CID officers for questioning.

Stars were stranded for 10 hours before Cabinet Secretary for Sports Hassan Wario arrived at Wilson Airport at 8pm to end the stalemate.

The team eventually departed at 10:45pm with further accounts claiming the ministry had presented the money to the federation as early as Friday when the team beat Cape Verde 1-0 in the first leg of their 2018 World Cup second round pre-qualifier in Nairobi.