Football Football

Sony bundle out Sofapaka to reach Top 8 final

Sony Sugar players celebrating after Andrew Ssekayombia scored the second in their 3-1 win Top 8 semi over Sofapaka on November 4. PHOTO/Raymond Makhaya.

NAIROBI, November 4 – Sony Sugar are through to their first ever KPL Top 8 final after thrashing Sofapaka 3-1 in the second leg semi-final at Nairobi’s Nyayo National Stadium on Wednesday.

A late own goal by Collins Shivachi added to two first half goals netted by Justine Monda and Andrew Ssekayombya to see the Sugar Millers sail through with a 5-3 aggregate after the sides shared 2-2 spoils in the first leg.

Congolese defender, Felly Mulumba handed Batoto Ba Mungu the consolation after converting from the spot two minutes to the interval with head coach David Ouma commending his charges despite failing to go for their maiden Top 8 title.

“I congratulate my players despite losing the match of course everybody knows where we are coming from. We created many chances and dominated the game but unfortunately we conceded from counter attacks.

“People can say it was a poor season for us but finishing third in KPL is not easy considering the financial constrains we are facing. The boys have played their hearts out so we will prepare for the next season,” Ouma who doubles up as Harambee Starlets head coach, declared.

His opposite number, Salim Babu was confident of going ahead to clinch the title on Saturday in Kisumu.

“I’m so happy for the win. The boys played entertaining football that enabled us create many chances. I knew we would beat after killing their midfield to enable us break from the counter and it paid.

“We promised our fans we will win one trophy this season after battling relegation. I’m sure we will win it and whoever we will meet in the final we are ready since we will be at home,” Babu who replaced Zedikiah ‘Zico’ Otieno underlined.

In a three goal thriller first half, Sony went ahead two minutes to the half hour mark courtesy of Monda’s easy opener when he lofted the ball over on rushing Sofapaka keeper, David Okello after a mix up between centre halves,Mulumba and Willis Ouma from Allan Owiny’s goal kick.

The porous Batoto Ba Mungu defence was once again exposed to see them concede the second in a space of 10 minutes when unmarked Ssekayombya met a Robert Omunuk delivery from the left to nod past hapless Okello.

Sofapaka had a reprieve two minutes to the interval to pull one back from the spot when Hamidu Kwizera handled the ball in the box to see Mulumba step up for the challenge with a beautiful penalty.

The Sugar Millers, who entered the encounter with a two goal away advantage, were unlucky in the second half that could have seen them add three more goals through Omunuk and Victor Ademba.

Ssekayombia started the raid in the 55th when he did well to leave Okello for dead but Ouma kept his side in the game when he cleared the goal bound off the line.

Wycliffe Opondo who came on in the second half for Patrick Mugendi responded for Sofapaka with a long range thunder bolt but Owiny was keen to parry it away.

Omunuk forced Okello to stretch fully and punch over his ferocious strike in the 72nd before the former Tusker FC striker hit the cross bar two minutes later.

Ademba could have buried Batoto Ba Mungu with his well taken right footed shot that found the woodwork but Shivachi did justice to the hosts when he turned back to his own net from Amos Asembeka cross three minutes to stoppage time.