MEXICO CITY, July 29- Mexico coach Miguel Herrera was sacked on Tuesday following allegations of an assault against a television journalist, just two days after guiding them to their seventh Gold Cup trophy in the United States.
The combative 47-year-old — who also coached Mexico to the last-16 penalty shootout loss to the Netherlands at the World Cup last year — is alleged to have attacked the journalist, a virulent critic of the coach, at Philadelphia airport hours after Mexico had beaten Jamaica.
Herrera, who has yet to comment on the decision, claims he simply shoved the commentator in question Christian Martinoli.
However, his version was contradicted by several eye witnesses and left the federation with no option but to sack him.
“We have taken the decision to relieve national coach Miguel Herrera of his duties,” said federation president Decio de Maria.
“Our values and principles must be maintained regardless of results.”
De Maria did not name a successor.
“Sacking Herrera was a tough decision,” said De Maria.
“However, violence has no place in society, in the family and even less so in our sport.
“I believe that Miguel perfectly understands the reason for this decision… all this has made him suffer a lot.”
Herrera, a former no-nonsense defender who earned the nickname ‘the louse’, had been in charge since October 2013 when he took over with Mexico struggling to qualify for the 2014 World Cup.