NAIROBI, Kenya, March 4 – The wheels of justice will turn in the long-standing Football Kenya Federation and Kenyan Premier League stand-off at the High Court on Thursday after both parties failed to agree on resolving the stalemate amicably.
On Tuesday, Civil division Judge Justice Aburili gave the warring factions 48 hours to find a solution to the impasse that had resulted to parallel leagues but talks collapsed once again even after both parties met at a Nairobi hotel for more than four hours.
“There is nothing that came out of yesterday’s meeting so the court will decide. We have tried our best to reason together but it didn’t work out so let’s meet in court,” KPL CEO Jack Oguda confirmed to Capital Sport Wednesday.
The judge was told KPL officials without colour proceeded to conduct the premier league matches when they are quite aware of the orders restraining them.
Consequently KPL leaders Ambrose Rachier, Allan Kasavuli, Elly Kulekwa, James Musyoki, Bob Munro, Jack Oguda and Col Juma Munyikai will be required to appear in court when the application for contempt comes up for hearing next week.
However an attempt by former FKF vice-president Sammy Shollei and Nairobi Representative Dan Shikanda seeking to be enjoined in the dispute was disallowed, until their application rejoinder is argued fully and the court makes decision.
FKF lawyer Eric Mutua strongly opposed the two from being made to the proceeding on grounds that they duo had been banned from taking part in the management of football for six by federation.
Mutua told the court he needs time to file documents to show that two cannot be enjoined the civil suit.
The application to embattled former officials of FKF will be argued on Thursday.
Justice Aburili urged the parties in the dispute to continue discussing in a view of arriving at amicable resolution to solve the wrangles.
The judge observed that for the interest of country there is need for parties to agree the way forward.
The court extended the order halting KPL from conducting leagues matches until the dispute is heard.
FKF had moved to court through its president Sam Nyamweya and obtained orders restraining the company from hosting or managing a parallel premier league.
The restraining order was issued by Justice Mbogholi Msagha he directed that same be served upon respondents.
KPL attempted to lift the orders on grounds that there was material non-disclosure and misrepresentation and their application will be argued next week.
The last meeting between both parties mid last month at a Nairobi hotel ended in acrimony when KPL walked out of talks claiming FKF were intent on using their numerical advantage to force their chosen 18-team league format through a vote.
KPL who insist on having a 16-team format went on to play their opening round of the 2015 KPL before they suspended the competition indefinitely pending determination of the ongoing civil suit.
The FKF PL has kicked off proper last weekend after the federation promoted 14 Nationwide Super League sides to take the place of the KPL teams that failed to meet their deadline to register with them.