Athletics Athletics

Court warns Wanjiru’s wife to keep mum


TRIZAH-NJERINAIROBI, Kenya, February 11- The widow of fallen marathon icon, Samuel Wanjiru, Trizah Njeri, has been warned by the court listening to an inquest into his controversial death from commenting on the ongoing probe.

Hearing of the inquest failed to proceed on Wednesday and pushed to Friday after Njeri through her advocate sought to have former Government chief pathologist, Dr. Moses Njue recalled to the stand.

The lawyer told the inquest he needs to cross-examine the pathologist on his testimony after he claimed on Friday that Wanjiru was murdered and did not commit suicide but the State expressed reservations about him being available.

Nairobi Chief Magistrate Hannah Ndung’u cautioned Njeri and witnesses who are yet to give evidence from issuing any statements or making comments on circumstances surrounding the death of the two-time Chicago and London marathon champion.

The magistrate said the court will not hesitate from taking stern action if she does not refrain from doing so.

“Witnesses are warned against making comments on the issue before the inquest failure to which stern action will be taken,’’ the magistrate declared.

The warning by the court came a day after Njeri openly disproved the testimony of Njue at a local television station for concluding that her husband was killed.

The doctor further explained to the inquest that Wanjiru was hit by a blunt object on the head before died.

Njue explained that it was not possible for the deceased to have fallen from the 14 feet balcony as claimed to generate momentum to kill him.

Wanjiru’s wife however moved to negate the testimony hours later claiming his post-mortem report was different from what he told the inquest.

The 2008 Beijing Olympic marathon champion died on May 15, 2011 at his home in Nyahururu Muthaiga Estate from what police ruled to be injuries sustained from a fall from his balcony.

His mother, Hannah Wanjiru, applied for the inquest maintaining her breadwinning son was killed in what opened a three year tussle over where the probe would be heard.