Football Football

Saints match on, Spurs stage FA comeback



LONDON, January 15 – Shane Long scored the winner as Premier League high-flyers Southampton saw off second-tier Ipswich Town 1-0 in their FA Cup third-round replay on Wednesday.

Victory saw the Saints book a fourth-round tie at home to top-flight rivals Crystal Palace — a side now managed by former Southampton boss Alan Pardew.

Meanwhile Mauricio Pochettino, another ex-Southampton manager, had a night to remember as his Tottenham Hotspur team came from 2-0 down to beat Burnley 4-2 at White Hart Lane to set up another all-top division Cup clash at home to basement club Leicester.

Elsewhere, third-tier Bradford defeated second division Millwall 4-0 as the Bantams booked a glamour tie away to Premier League leaders Chelsea.

Ipswich, third in the Championship, had done well to hold Southampton, third in the Premier League, to a 1-1 draw at St Mary’s and the 1978 FA Cup-winners had an early effort from Stephen Hunt disallowed for offside.

It needed an opportunist strike from Long to give south coast side Southampton, fresh from their morale-boosting win away to Manchester United — the team they beat to win the 1976 FA Cup final — on Sunday, the lead in the 19th minute at a windswept Portman Road.

Saints’ James Ward-Prowse burst through the middle only to be dispossessed by an excellent sliding tackle from Ipswich’s Tommy Smith.

But as the loose ball squirted away to the right of the area, Republic of Ireland striker Long let fly with a first-time shot that flew inside the near post to give Southampton the lead.

On the stroke of half-time, Southampton — already missing the influential Morgan Schneiderlin – saw Victor Wanyama suffer what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

– Frantic start –

There was a frantic start in north London with three goals inside the opening 10 minutes at White Hart Lane.

Marvin Sordell gave visitors Burnley a third-minute lead when he scored from 16 yards out with a powerful shot following a long ball over the top

And five minutes later Sean Dyche’s side, who held Spurs to a 1-1 draw at Turf Moor, were 2-0 ahead when Ross Wallace’s 25-yard effort took a huge deflection off Roberto Soldado and beat the wrongfooted Michel Vorm.

But Burnley had little time to enjoy the lead as Spurs, who beat the Clarets to win the 1962 FA Cup final, pulled a goal back.

Andros Townsend’s cross was nodded on by Soldado and Paulinho took the ball on his chest before unleashing a half-volley that made it 2-1.

Spurs then levelled on the stroke of half-time when Etienne Capoue seized on a loose ball.

Tottenham then turned the match on its head with two goals in three minutes early in the second half.

Vlad Chriches headed Tottenham into the lead in the 49th minute after Clarets goalkeeper Tom Heaton came for a corner and got nowhere near the ball.

Three minutes later, Spurs had a two-goal lead when left-back Danny Rose turned in Soldado’s cross.

In Yorkshire, Bradford added to the pressure on Millwall manager Ian Holloway, whose side are battling to avoid relegation from the Championship, by going 3-0 up before the interval.

James Hanson opened the scoring with an eighth-minute header at the far post and it was not long before the Bantams led 2-0 through Jon Stead.

Bradford all but put the result beyond doubt in the 39th minute when Andy Halliday, on loan from Middlesbrough, struck and 12 minutes into the second half the home side ensured the trip back to south London for Millwall would be even more painful when Billy Knott scored from close range.