Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Features

South Africa rejects hosting Afcon 2015

FIKILE-MBALULAJOHANNESBURG, October 20- South Africa is not ready to host the Africa Cup of Nations in January if Morocco withdraws because of the Ebola epidemic, Sports Minister Fikile Mbalula said Monday.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) has reportedly approached South Africa, Ghana and five others countries ahead of a November 2 meeting to decide on the future of the continent’s premier football event.

But the minister tweeted: “Hosting AFCON (Africa Cup of Nations) is a NO NO.” He told South African media that the country had a responsibility to help fight to help fight the Ebola epidemic that has killed  more than 4,500 people, mainly in West Africa, with the UN predicting a surge in deaths and cases.

“Even before taking the matter to cabinet, I can tell you unambiguously and categorically that hosting is a no no,” he told South African media.

“We do not have a ready-made abundance of resources to be shifted to AFCON.

“We did it (host the 2013 AFCON) in solidarity with Libya last year. Our budget cycle will not allow us to host the (2015) AFCON. It is totally impossible.

“We would like to give this one a pass.”

Mbalula added: “We will share the responsibility to fight Ebola — we are not immune to that.

“We must be prepared to share our skills, our doctors, to reinforce the research to find a vaccine.” 

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

South Africa were among seven countries sounded out by the CAF as possible replacements should Morocco pull out.

The republic have twice been ’emergency’ hosts of the competition, replacing cash-strapped Kenya in 1996 and strife-torn Libya last year.

South Africa has world-class stadia having become the first African hosts of the World Cup four years ago.

Ghana have also been approached  country that was approached by CAF, according to the sports minister of the west African country.

The identities of the other five countries have not been officially revealed.

Moroccan government officials have said last weekend they wanted the January 17-February 8 tournament postponed because they feared a spread of the deadly Ebola virus.

But Cairo-based CAF reacted swiftly, saying the 16-nation tournament should go ahead as planned, in a different country if necessary.

Most of the Ebola dead have been in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. CAF have barred Guinea and Sierra Leone from hosting Nations Cup qualifiers. Liberia were eliminated in the preliminary rounds.

Guinea stage home fixtures in Moroccan commercial capital Casablanca.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Sierra Leone, having failed to secure a neutral venue, had to play home games against the Democratic Republic of Congo and Cameroon in Lubumbashi and Yaounde respectively.

CAF officials are scheduled to discuss the Ebola crisis at a November 2 meeting in Algeria and travel to Morocco the following day for make-or-break talks.

Should Morocco withdraw and more than one country offers to be take over as hosts, a draw will decide who stages the three-week African football showpiece.

Click to comment

0 Comments

  1. Dadysimon

    November 20, 2011 at 4:07 pm

    Crown Prince of Dubai, is not His Highness General Sheikh Mohamed.

  2. GEORGE KAMAU

    November 20, 2011 at 10:24 pm

    Assistant Minister Mwangi Kiunjuri ? Something is cooking

  3. JACKY

    November 21, 2011 at 8:42 am

    Crown prince of Dubai is Sheikh  Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum

    • JACKY

      November 21, 2011 at 10:46 am

      and the Crown prince of Abu Dhabi is the Gen Sheikh Mohamed

  4. Mwarima Mdzigo

    November 21, 2011 at 7:14 pm

    Why does the media insist on refering to Kibaki as ‘President’? He never won. We were told it was impossible to know who won. Given that he is the one who orchestrated government-sponsored rigging, why don’t we call him the ‘Self-declared President’?

  5. Bi

    December 13, 2011 at 2:25 am

    what about Raila

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 27 – DStv and GOtv subscribers are in for a treat of the world’s best football this week as the 2020-21...

© 2022 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved