MONTEVIDEO, June 26- The Uruguayan Football Association (AUF) said Thursday it would appeal against a four month global ban imposed against star striker Luis Suarez for biting an Italian opponent at the World Cup.
AUF president Wilmar Valdez called the FIFA punishment against Suarez, comprising a nine-match international ban, “totally exaggerated”.
He said the appeal would be lodged on Thursday.
Uruguayan skipper Diego Lugano posted a message to social media saying the squad were aghast at the punishment but felt powerless to do anything.
“Indignant. Powerless. I think this is what we all feel,” said Lugano, but “those who are in charge are in charge.
“A hug to Luis, who as always will bounce back.
“We will carry on with humility, solidarity, commitment, recognising our mistakes and with our heads always held high,” said Lugano, who was sat on the bench for the match as he was injured.
FIFA banned Suarez after his bite on Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini in Tuesday’s final group match, the suspension ending the controversial forward’s involvement at the World Cup.
It is the third time the 27-year-old South American star had been banned for biting an opponent after a previous case while at Ajax in 2010 and last year playing for Liverpool when he bit the arm of Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic.