PARIS, June 21- French triple jump world champion Teddy Tamgho has been handed a one-year ban for missing three out-of-competition doping tests, the French Athletics Federation (FFA) announced on Saturday.
The suspension was backdated to start on March 18, 2014 the FFA said on its website, taking into account the “good faith” that Tamgho showed during the case.
The three doping tests missed by Tamgho were all under the auspices of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) dating from December 19 2012, January 28 2014 and March 18 2014.
“It seems that Mr Teddy Tamgho was unable to make himself available .. at the place indicated by the athlete for his localisation,” the FFA statement said.
“That constituted an infringement of the rules concerning out-of-competition anti-doping tests.”
The FFA said that while 25-year-old Tamgho had been negligent in the case, there was no indication that he had deliberately tried to avoid the tests.
Based on that he was suspended from all competition for one year, backdated to the date of the last of the three missed tests on March 18.
Tamgho, who won the world triple jump title in Moscow last year with a leap of 18.04 metres, the third best of all-time, has the right to appeal the sanction.