Football Football

Gor pull the plug on Stima


SSERUNKUMA-CELEBRATENAIROBI, Kenya, March 16 – Reigning champions Gor Mahia bounced back from their 5-0 CAF Champions League return leg first round humiliation at Esperance to beat visiting Western Stima 2-0 in their Kenyan Premier league (KPL) match played on Sunday at Nairobi’s City Stadium.

Ugandan forward Dan Sserunkuma opened the scores in the 63rd before substitute Kevin Omondi sealed victory in 85th to see K’Ogalo win their third league match on the trot.

Gor could have opened the scores three minutes in when they were awarded a free-kick that George ‘Blackberry’ Odhiambo headed wide.

Two minutes later Stima responded through Paul Odhiambo with his brilliant move to pass the ball to Wesley Kemboi who saw his shot rescued by keeper David Juma.

Shaban Kenga’s cross from the right wing found Geoffrey Kizito just at the edge of the box but the Ugandan wasted the chance with his strike that went wide.

As the match slowed down left back Godfrey Walusimbi hacked down Stima defender George Wesa, with the visitors squandering the free-kick.

In the 25th Kenga brought in a fine cross but there was no one in the box to tap home as the ball went out for a goal kick.

K’Ogalo continued to pile pressure on Stima, with Kevin Oluoch providing pass to Odhiambo who missed the ball as he fell down inside the box for keeper Ben Mandela to easily pick the pieces in the 33rd.

Three minutes later Kenga was fouled by Robert Kwaye for a Kizito free-kick that Mandela saved.

With two minutes of play left for the first half, Odhiambo missed two clear chances to see both sides locked 0-0 at half time.

K’Ogalo returned rejuvinated with Sserunkuma having a chance to open the deadlock in the 47th when he was had only Mandela to beat but the club’s top scorer directed his shot straight at the custodian before Patrick Oboya squandered an opportunity from a Walusimbi corner with a way wide strike.

Coach Bobby Williamson introduced Rama Salim for Odhiambo after the latter wasted a number of chances.

In the 59th Oboya unleashed a thunderous shot that forced Mandela to punch for a fruitless corner.

The introduction of Salim paid in the 63rd when Oboya passed the ball to the former Congo United player who in turn fed talisman Sserunkuma to net his third goal of the season.

Shafik Batambuze passed up an opportunity to level by unleashing a cracker that flew over the bar before his keeper once again came to the rescue to thwart Sserunkuma.

Kenga was substituted for Timona Wanyonyi while the visitors rested Kemboi for Francis Ocholla.

Stima tried to break through Gor’s solid defence but could not manage as K’Ogalo substituted Oboya for Kevin Omondi who’s presence was felt when he doubled in the 85th to see his side comfortable seal the 2-0 win.

The defending champions who have a game in hand are now placed fourth on the log two adrift leaders Chemelil Sugar.

In other fixtures that were played on Sunday, AFC Leopards failed to take advantage of 10-man Sofapaka at their home ground, Kenyatta Stadium in Machakos, to settle for a goalless draw and remain winless this season.

Muhoroni Youth beat Nairobi City Stars 1-0 while Top Fry Nakuru woes continued when they lost 2-0 to Chemelil Sugar as Tusker beat KCB 2-1.