NAIROBI, Kenya, January 27 – Football Kenya Federation (FKF) boss, Sam Nyamweya, has moved to ‘clarify’ that the country can still be included among the candidates to host the 2019 AFCON despite continental governing body CAF listing the six nations that met the bidding criteria.
Having assured President Uhuru Kenyatta that FKF had submitted a bid and sued a local publication that published the said intention to stage the 2019 biennial continental showpiece did not meet the November 25, 2013 deadline, Nyamweya moved swiftly to point the finger at the Government.
He now states the Government is yet to draft a guarantee to underwrite the tournament for Kenya’s bid to be considered.
“It’s not lost for because I have an opportunity to present the guarantee during a meeting in South Africa later this week, after which we should be considered as having officially completed the bidding process for us to move to the next level of the procedure.
“What is imperative at the moment is for government within the shortest time possible procures the guarantee for FKF to submit the same as a late completion of the bidding process,” the FKF boss wrote in his ‘clarification’ release to the press.
Algeria, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Guinea, Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Zambia will bid for 2019 while Algeria, Ivory Coast and Guinea have submitted intention to host the 2021 edition.
According to CAF president, Issa Hayatou, the Executive Committee that met in Cape Town, South Africa on Friday agreed to form a commission consisting of experts that shall be entrusted with carrying out the inspection visits to the bidding countries.
The final vote for the designation of the countries hosting 2019 and 2021 AFCONS will be conducted during the Executive Committee meeting in September instead of the earlier stated May.
“I appeal to the government to hasten this important process so that we do not miss out on the opportunity to be considered as hosts for the 2019 Nations Cup as promised by the Jubilee Government,” the FKF boss added.
Speaking on phone, a Government official in the Ministry of Sports, Art and Culture denied knowledge of any letter from Nyamweya asking for the State to write to CAF to guarantee the 2019 bid.
“So far, I have not come across anything on that issue but if indeed that letter did come to the office, it was stamped upon receipt and I shall follow up on the matter to confirm,” he added.
In suing the local publication, the FKF boss said reports Kenya’s bid was presented to CAF after the stipulated November 25 deadline were ‘malicious and intended to tarnish the good name of FKF.’
Nyamweya holds his office, in a letter dated May 13, 2013 sent a letter to CAF detailing the country’s intention to stage the showpiece before the continental body responded asking for the State’s guarantee.