DELHI, India, December 17- Former World Cross Country and Berlin Marathon champion Florence Kiplagat led Kenyans to a clean sweep in the women’s 21km race at the Airtel Delhi Half Marathon that attracted over 30,000 participants.
Ethiopia’s Atsedu Tsegay beat Geoffrey Kipsang and two time World Half marathon champion Wilson Kiprop, to clinch the men’s title.
Kiplagat had to face stiff competition from compatriots World Silver medalist Gladys Cherono and Lucy Kabuu, to finish first in a time of 1:08:00, three seconds ahead of Cherono who was placed second.
Kabuu clocked 01:08:10 to settle for third place.
Tsegay crossed the tape first to set a new course record of 59:10, surpassing previous record time of 59:15 held by Ethiopian Deriba Merga since 2008.
The 2011 World Cross junior titleholder Kipsang came in second clocking 59:30 while Kiprop finished in third position 19 seconds later as defending champion Edwin Kipyego was placed eighth.
Overall Athlete Men:
1. Atsedu Tsegay (ETH) 00:59:12 (NCR)
2. Geoffrey Kipsang (KEN) 00:59:30
3. Wilson Kiprop (KEN) 00:59:49
4. Kenneth Kipkemoi (KEN) 00:59:55
5. Nicholas Kipkemboi (KEN) 01:00:24
6. Philemon Rono (KEN) 01:01:07
7. Gladwin Mzazi (RSA) 01:01:12
8. Edwin Kipyego (KEN) 01:01:21
9. Leonard Korir (KEN) 01:01:25
10. Richard Mengich (KEN) 01:01:27
Overall Athlete Women:
1. Florence Kiplagat (KEN) 01:08:00
2. Gladys Cherono (KEN) 01:08:03
3. Lucy Kabuu (KEN) 01:08:10
4. Meseret Hailu (ETH) 01:09:05
5. Wude Ayalew (ETH) 01:09:21
6. Emily Chebet (KEN) 01:09:22
7. Alice Kimutai (KEN) 01:10:09
8. Yebrgual Melese (ETH) 01:11:59
9. Lineth Chepkurui (KEN) 01:12:01
10. Paskalia Kipkoech (KEN) 01:12:02