NAIROBI, Kenya, December 4 – Two Eritrean national team players that went missing from camp in the ongoing GOtv Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup, are still at large with organisers and Kenya Police at a loss to explain the progress in apprehending them.
Nairobi County Police boss, Benson Kibui, told Capital Sport on Wednesday that no one has brought the matter before them for action meaning that investigations to the matter cannot commence since there is no official complaint.
“Nobody has reported the matter to us but I will follow it up from the tournament organisers,” the Police boss added.
When quizzed on the progress, Cecafa Secretary General, Nicholas Musonye, declined to comment.
On his part, Eritrea head coach Omar Ahmed, said he is not concerned with the deserters who are yet to be formally identified.
“I am not a politician, so I don’t care about the players who vanished, I have the best that will represent the nation in the remaining matches,” the coach added after losing 3-0 to defending champions Uganda Cranes on Monday.
Eritrean players have forged a reputation of abandoning their team at Cecafa tournaments with a number vanishing in Kampala, Uganda last year and a dozen out a squad of 25 going missing in 2009 when Kenya last hosted the regional football showpiece.