NAIROBI, Kenya, October 23 – The Local Organising Committee of this year’s Cecafa Senior Challenge Cup received a major blow following the announcement by the Cabinet Secretary for Sports, Arts and Culture Dr. Hassan Wario that the Government has no funds to assist Football Kenya Federation (FKF) host the regional showpiece.
Wario urged FKF to find other alternative ways of supporting Cecafa that lacks a title sponsor after a three-year deal with East African Breweries Limited (EABL) lapsed last year.
“The Government has no money, let’s be honest but it’s a good thing for football in our country.
“We are not saying no to it but we are saying hang on guys, we don’t have the money at the moment,” Wario said.
This comes after FKF Chairman Sam Nyamweya assured Kenyans the Government will partner with Cecafa which coincides with 50 years of independence celebrations.
“We have seen the Government’s commitment and have assured us total support, we shall work together to showcase Kenya’s hospitality,” Nyamweya stated when launching the Organising Committee.
The Cabinet Secretary confirmed he will be meeting Nyamweya to discuss the issue further.
“We get so many proposals from all federations and it’s very difficult for all of them see light at the end of the day.
“The way forward is to approach corporates who have been very supportive in sports to come on board,” Wario continued.
Speaking to Capital Sport, Cecafa Secretary General Nicholas Musonye confirmed the event will still be hosted in Kenya.
“The Local Organizing Committee is going on with preparations which are going well, I am assuring Kenyans come the date of event everything will be ready,” the Secretary General told.
Kenya will be hosting the regional showpiece for the first time since 2009 when communication company Orange were title sponsors.
The annual regional showdown is slotted for November 27 to December 12 in Nairobi, Kisumu, Nakuru, Mumias and Machakos.