LONDON, England, May 16 – QPR’s France striker Loic Remy has been bailed after he was arrested on suspicion of rape, police said Thursday.
Remy was held by Scotland Yard’s sex crime squad along with two other men after a 34-year-old woman alleged three men raped her on May 6 in west London.
Although police did not name Remy, it was widely reported in the British media that the 26-year-old was one of the three men that police said they had arrested and QPR said they were aware of the allegations against him.
Scotland Yard said on Thursday that the three men had been bailed until September.
On Wednesday, the London force said the allegations had been passed on to it by police in the neighbouring county of Kent.
“The victim alleges she was raped by three men. On the morning of Wednesday, 15 May three men, aged 26, 23 and 22, were arrested at an address in Fulham on suspicion of rape,” Scotland Yard said.
Remy’s arrest is the latest setback in a dismal season for QPR, who were relegated from the Premier League last month.
QPR boss Harry Redknapp signed Remy from French club Marseille for £8 million ($12 million) in January in the hope his goals would lift the team out of the relegation zone.
But although Remy scored on his QPR debut at West Ham, and has since netted a further five goals, the club’s relegation to the Championship was confirmed after a 0-0 draw at Reading on April 28. They sit bottom of the table with one match remaining.
Remy is likely to be sold in the close-season as Redknapp looks to trim his wage bill, with Arsenal, Tottenham and Liverpool reported to be interested in signing him.