Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

English Premiership

Biting Suarez banned for ten

SUAREZ-ATTACKLONDON, England, April 24 – Liverpool striker Luis Suarez has been suspended for 10 matches for biting Chelsea’s Branislav Ivanovic in last weekend’s English Premier League match at Anfield, the Football Association said on Wednesday.

“A three-person Independent Regulatory Commission today upheld The FA’s claim that a suspension of three matches was clearly insufficient and the player will serve a further seven first-team matches in addition to the standard three,” the FA said on its website thefa.com.

“The suspension begins with immediate effect,” it added, effectively ruling him for the start of next season.

Liverpool were quick to react, with managing director Ian Ayre declaring the club was “shocked and disappointed” by the “severity” of the FA’s decision.

Suarez has until midday (1100 GMT) on Friday to appeal the additional suspension to the violent conduct charge against Ivanovic in Sunday’s 2-2 draw.

The Uruguayan striker had pleaded guilty to the charge but had denied the FA’s claim that his initial three-match ban was not enough.

The 26-year-old Suarez is no stranger to lengthy bans.

In 2010 he was suspended for seven matches in the Netherlands when he sank his teeth into PSV Eindhoven’s Otman Bakkal, leading to him being dubbed the “Cannibal of Ajax”.

And last year the FA banned him for eight matches and imposed a £40,000 ($60,000, 46,000 euros) ban for racially abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

French defender Evra made fun of Suarez after United captured the Premier League title with victory over Aston Villa on Monday by producing a bloodied fake arm.

Suarez has apologised to Ivanovic, who suffered a bruised arm from the bite, and the Chelsea defender has acknowledged the apology.

Liverpool moved quickly to deal with the latest crisis surrounding their star striker and imposed a club fine which is being donated to the support group for families affected by the Hillsborough stadium disaster, in which 96 people died.

The latest controversy came just two days after Suarez was named on the shortlist for the Professional Footballers’ Association Player of the Year award.

With the votes already counted, the forward will remain eligible for the award.

Click to comment
Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved