NAIROBI, Kenya January 12 – All-round bike prodigy Shivam “Ole” Vinayak is the 2012 Motor Personality of the year.The 21 year-old second year dentistry student at the University of Nairobi scooped the coveted award following brilliant displays in last year’s Motorsport season which culminated on December 9 with the FIM regional Motocross Challenge.
During the season, he won the National Enduro overall title, the 125cc Enduro Championship, the FIM Central Africa Motocross Challenge and the National MX1 Championship for the fourth consecutive time with seven out of 8 wins in the season.
Shivam, however, lost his title defense for the National Rally Raid bike Championship which he finished 5th overall despite skipping the season closing round.
On his way up, Shivam vanquished three other nominees who were rally driver Carl “Flash” Tundo, navigator Tim Jessop and five time Rally Raid reigning quad Champion Shazar Anwar.
Jessop navigated Tundo to six rally wins and eventually the National Rally Championship series.
Shivam was all smiles.
“I’m on cloud nine,” quipped Shivam as he clinched the coveted trophy at the Haveli Restaurant in Nairobi.
The Ladies Rose Bowl for the Most Meritorious Lady competitor went to Chantal Young who won the Classic Car Cup navigators championship and participated in the Rally Raid and Autocross series riding quads.
THOSE WHO WERE FETED::::
NATIONAL MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP
1. MX50 Champion – Jesse Waithaka
2. MX65 Champion – Rolf Kihara
3. MX85 Champion- Samir Anwar
4. MX125 Champion – Apollo Mbuki
5. MX 2 Champion – Tutu Maina
6. MX 1 Champion – Shivam Vinayak
NATIONAL ENDURO CHAMPIONSHIP
7. 2012 Enduro Champion – Quad Category – Shazar Anwar
8. 125 cc Enduro Champion – Shivam Vinayak
9. National Overall Enduro Champion – Shivam Vinayak
NATIONAL AUTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP
10. Autocross Champion – Kyle Lucas
11. Autocross Champion – Under 24 years – Charles Mugo
KENYA NATIONAL RALLY RAID CHAMPIONSHIP
12. Motor Car Driver- Nish Lakhani
13. Motor Car Category Champion
14. Navigator -Teeku Patel
15. Motorcycle Champion – Sean Wilcock
16. Quad Champion Shazar Anwar
17. Buggy Champion – Tejas Hirani
18. Buggy Navigator Champion- – Riyaz Ismail
19. New Overall Champion – Sean Wilcock
KCB KENYA NATIONAL RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP
20. 2WD Champion Navigator: James Mwangi
2WD Champion Driver: Nadeem Khan
21. 2012 KCB Classic Car Cup Rally Champion Navigator: Chantal Young
22. Classic Car Cup Rally Champion Driver: Aslam Khan
23. Group S Rally Champion Navigator – Ravi Chana
THE 2012 MERIT AWARDS
24.Neil Granger Brown – Most Improved Motorcycle competitor:
25.Most Improved Autocross Competitor: Eugene Maina
26.John Ngunjiri Memorial – Most consistent crew: Patrick Kibara/Joel Mwachuya
27.Tanveer Alam Memorial – Most Improved Rally Driver: Jassi Chatthe
28.William Kimaru Memorial – Most 29. Improved Co-driver: Gugu Panesar
29.Mike Vaughan Ryall Memorial – best rally organization: Nanyuki Rally Group – Nanyuki
30.Johnny Hellier Memorial – Contribution to Motorsport: Nazir Yakub
31.Kulwant Singh Chana Memorial – media contribution: Citizen TV
32. Ladies Rose Bowl – Most meritorious Lady competitor: Chantel Young
33.Motor Sport Personality of the Year 2012: Shivam Vinayak