LONDON, England, November 16 – David Beckham’s management team on Friday denied claims by Football Federation Australia (FFA) that the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder is seeking to move to Australia’s A-League.
The FFA claimed Beckham, 37, had been in talks with Australian clubs over a loan spell in the A-League, but a representative for the former England captain said there was no truth in the reports.
“There is always enormous interest from clubs across the world in signing David as a player,” the spokesman told Sky Sports News.
“There are absolutely no plans to play in Australia. David is completely focused on the MLS (Major League Soccer) play-offs and winning another Championship with the Galaxy.”
Earlier on Friday, the FFA said Beckham’s management team had offered his services for the current season.
Reports indicated he wanted to play a 10-game guest stint once the MLS season ends in a fortnight’s time.
Beckham’s former Manchester United team-mate, former Australia goalkeeper Mark Bosnich, also confirmed that there was “definite contact” about a possible move Down Under.
“David Beckham’s representatives expressed an interest of sorts. Obviously the idea was sold to the Football Federation Australia in the last couple of days,” Bosnich said in an interview with Britain’s Sky News television from Sydney.
“I think what’s happened is that somebody at Football Federation Australia has got very excited, which is understandable because David Beckham would be fantastic for the game here.”
Bosnich, now a sports pundit, said Beckham still had a lot to give the game but appreciated that the timing of the announcement, with Galaxy gunning for another title, may have played a part in the swift rebuttal.