Football Football

Gor deny liability over alleged deaths


NAIROBI, Kenya, November 12 – Gor Mahia have denounced reports that their fans were responsible for two alleged deaths in the immediate aftermath of their failure to secure the Tusker Premier League (TPL) title on Saturday.

Speaking to Capital Sport on Monday, club secretary general, George Bwana, said the side were consulting their lawyers to bring legal action against media outlets that shed K’Ogalo as responsible for the reports that claim a child and man died at the hands of their supporters.

“What happened outside City Stadium is a matter of the Police to deal with since such acts are criminal offenses. As a club, we are monitoring on what is being reported about our involvement and consulting our lawyers for necessary action.

“If someone dressed in Gor colours goes outside and commits a crime, the club is not responsible and we can only act when we receive official reports of any involvement of our supporters,” Bwana told.

He added their focus was now on this weekend’s Football Kenya Federation Cup semi-final against their archrivals AFC Leopards as they seek to end the season by recapturing the trophy they last won in 2009.

“The team trained this morning and even if the outcome was disappointing on Saturday, they have lifted themselves up for this game since there is a lot to play for and we are aspiring to play continental football next year,” he added.

According to reports, Gor fans allegedly went on rampage after police lobbed tear gas canisters at the crowd left behind long after their 1-1 draw against Thika United that saw Tusker leapfrog them to the title after beating City Stars 3-0.

The irate fans poured out to Nairobi’s Jogoo Road where allegations of looting and destruction of property that ensued led to the death of a child who was reportedly stoned aboard a Double M bus while another victim also succumbed from injuries inflicted by the rampaging mob.

A statue of the late Justice Minister, Tom Mboya, erected at Nairobi’s Central Business District was also not spared as a mob apparently defaced it in a fit of rage.

Officials of Matatu Saccos who had taken their vandalised vehicles to the police estimate the damage at Sh3m.

Embassava, Double M and Forward Transporters are the Matatu Saccos operating in the Eastlands routes in Nairobi claiming damages from the club.

“We had similar reports of our fans causing damage when we played in Nakuru but the club was declared not responsible since the incident happened away from the stadium.

“As management, we condemn hooligan acts and we have done everything possible to ensure that those coming to our games are safe and we have managed to stem incidents of irresponsible behaviour in the stands,” Bwana underscored.

The capacity packed match at City Stadium earned Gor Sh5.5m in gate collections that is a record for TPL match day ticket sales.