NAIROBI, Kenya October 8 – The battle for third awaits the KCB Kenya National Rally Championship (KNRC) in the final event of 2012 after Carl ‘Flash’ Tundo sew up the title in dramatic fashion in scenic Eldoret last weekend.
Seasoned ace Ian Duncan climbed the rostrum in second in an outcome that also guaranteed him the runner-up spot in the national roll of honour for this campaign.
However, following a twist of events a three-pronged charge for bronze featuring Baldev Chager, veteran Azar Anwar and speedster, Alistair Cavenagh is set to be the highlight of Guru Nanak Rally, the last leg of yet another enthralling KNRC season.
Chager brought his Subaru Impreza N16 home in third to throw his hat to the ring as Cavenagh navigated by Gavin Laurence in their Mitsubishi Evolution 9 who started in Eldoret trailing Tundo and Duncan on the log with 250 points retired in the third section while leading the rally.
He damaged his car’s sump guard knocking him off contention for the second spot in the national title charge and his misfortune let in the latter day ‘Flying Sikh’ into contention for third as Anwar kept up his interest by finishing fourth.
Guru Nanak will be a coronation procession for Tundo who majestically sealed the title by doing what he had to do in Eldoret, finish in the podium and to crown his achievement, he got there unopposed.
“I’m very happy to win the Championship and the (Eldoret) Rally. There is now one more feat this weekend and this is to get my new born baby,” the elated Tundo who celebrated his third national crown said although by Monday, he was still to welcome his bundle of joy.
The three-peat champ then paid tribute to the man who has religiously read his pace-notes in all his title runs, Tim Jessop who bagged his fourth navigator’s diadem in the process.
“Tim has been brilliant all season. I hope the youngsters will now bring in good competition next year,” added Tundo added to his 2007 and 2009 titles.
True to his moniker on the circuit, he ‘Flashed’ his way to victories in Nyeri, Nakuru, the showpiece Safari Rally, Nanyuki and now Eldoret to confirm his supremacy over the season.
Besides the holy grail of domestic rallying, Eldoret also witnessed new titleholders minted in the 2WD and Classic Car categories meaning Guru Nanak will be a coronation rally.
Mombasa based Nadeem Kana navigated by James Mwangi in their Subaru Impreza sealed the 2WD class even after finishing second behind Dennis Mwenda.
Kana and Mwenda were battling it out for the top honours but Kana had a superior hold on the class with 405 points which Mwenda could not supersede even if he won Guru Nanak Rally in November.
Kisumu’s Niaz Bashir finished third while Jeff Mburu finished fourth.
“We are happy with the results despite teething problems with our radiator but Mwenda really had a good drive and even with the results, we will focus on re-building our car ahead of next season.”
Aslam Khan won the Classic Car Cup category.
Next rally is the Guru Nanak Rally organized5 by Simba Union club to be held in Nairobi on November 18 and 19.
FULL KCB Asset Finance Rally 2012 RESULTS
1. Carl Tundo/Tim Jessop (EVO9) 1.05.59
2. Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch (EVO9) 01.06.44.
3. Baldev Chager/Raju Sehmi (Subaru N16) 01.08.10.
4. Azar Anwar/Julius Ngige (EVO8- 01.08.41
5. Quentin Mitchell/Geoff Mayes (Subaru N16) 01.09.27
6. Jassy Singh Chatthe/Gugu Panesar (EVO9)- 01.10.00
7. Izhar Mirza/Zahir Shah (EVO9)- 01.10.11
8. Manvir Singh Baryan/Nicola Arena (Subaru) 01.11.03
9. Onkar Rai/Raju Chagger (Subaru N16)- 01.14.43.
10. Don Smith/Bob Kaugi (Subaru N12B) 01.16.25
11. Jazzy Chana/Ravi Chana (Toyota Celica GT4) 01.17.05
12. Ghalib Haji/Sinder Sudle (EVOX) 01.17.40
13. Charles Hinga/Absalom Aswani (EVO7) 01.18.24
14. Jasmeet Chana/Rohit Bhudia (Toyota Celica GT4) 01.19.01
15. Tejvir Rai/G. Mwangi (Subaru N16) 01.19.10
16. Alasdair Keith/Tariq Malik (Subaru) 01.19.41
17. Farhaaz Khan/Keith Henrie (Subaru) 01.20.12
18. Anwar Pandya/Ken Masoni (Subaru N10) 01.22.37
19. John Muigai/Allan Muhindi (Subaru) 01.24.01
20. Ben Muchemi/Evans Mwenda (EVO8) 01.25.32
21. AslamKhan/I. Freestone (Porsche 911) 01.26.39
22. Anthony Tibo/Kavit Dave (Subaru) 01.27.38
23. Dennis Mwenda/Edward Njoroge (Toyota Sprinter GT) 01.29.07
24. Niaz Bashir/J. Kosgey (Toyota) 01.29.21
25. Joe Muchiri/ Riyaz Ismail (Subaru gc8) 01.30.45
26. Abdulaziz Athman/Kalifan Athman (Subaru) 01.30.52
27. Khalid Umar/Shakil Umar (Subaru) 01.32.26
28. Rashid Kabi/Nehreen Ismail (Subaru gc8) 01.34.08
29. Nadeem Kana/J. Mwangi (Subaru) 01.38.37
30. Jeff Mburu/Rodney Muriuki (Levin) 01.42.33
31. Hardev S. Sira/Jasneil Ghataure (Ford Escort Mexico) 01.42.47
32. Imran Kana/M. Kana (Toyota Levin) 01.44.09
33. Patrick Kibaara/Julius Mwachuya (Levin) 01.47.06
34. Gurpreet Brar/ Jasmeet Khaira(Subaru) 01.56.48
35. Stella Macharia/Hellen Shiri (Subaru) 02.03.26
36. Victor Okundi/Tuta Mionki (Toyota Vitz) 02.04.27
37. Philis Wambui/Steve Nyorri (Levin) 02.13.31
38. Edward Maina/Tonny Kimondo (Toyota Celica) 02.43.15