Football Football

Crisis at Gor as Logarusic threatens to quit


NAIROBI, Kenya, August 9- All is not well at Gor Mahia after their Croat head coach Zdravko Logarusic threatened to quit in a development that saw the football club’s top hierarchy convene an urgent meeting on Thursday.

Logarusic who has been instrumental in the resurgence of K’Ogalo since he was hired in April offered to resign ahead of their Top 8 clash against Tusker FC later Thursday having allegedly failed to train with the side for the better part of this week.

Club secretary, George Bwana, told Capital Sport that the Croat was still in charge of the team as he conceded there was a meeting convened to address the issues he raised mainly centred on payment of player allowances after their opening leg of the knock-out tie last week.

“Those are just baseless rumours, all is well in the club,” Bwana stressed when reached for comment.

Capital Sport established Logarusic was incensed by allowances after their 1-0 win against Tusker had been delayed and demanded they be settled before he could resume duty.

Matters came to a head when the said monies arrived later due to delays in releasing the cash by Top 8 organisers, Kenyan Premier League (KPL) as the head coach and top club officials clashed.

For the past week, murmurs of disquiet at the Gor family have been simmering under the surface but playing out in social media circles with some of the club’s support expressing their dissatisfaction on how K’Ogalo is being run.

Claims of financial impropriety compelled Bwana to post in the club’s Facebook page on Monday the state of accounts where player salaries and remuneration for Logarusic chalked most of the monies.

Calls for a regime change at the club headed by chairman Ambrose Rachier have gathered momentum on the same platform for the club that is inching its way into the top echelons of the KPL after a sluggish start.

The Croat has not been immune to controversy surrounding his defence of his charges since he took charge.

In July, Logarusic withdrew attacking midfielder Ramah Salim out of training for the national U-23 team since he held the view team officials had disrespected their agreement in regard to the release of players.

Salim who was then nursing a slight injury had been give a few days off to attend  a relative’s funeral at the Coast and was on his way to the club offices at the Nyayo  Stadium where coach James Nandwa is alleged to have asked him to join the team training.

Early this year, the coach was reported to have walked out on Ghana club King Faisal after they had brought him to the country and paid for his expenses which included airfare and accommodation.

He had earlier been sacked by another Ghana side, Ashanti Gold after a dismal run ironically after he had assisted the club to finish as runners-up in the previous league season.