Football Football

Gor soak Sofapaka


NAIROBI, Kenya, April 15- Gor Mahia stung title-chasing Sofapaka as Mathare United recovered from 2-0 to hold champions Tusker in the highlights of the Kenyan Premier League (KPL) on Sunday.

In another encounter, the 2010 champions Ulinzi Stars were lucky to escape with a 0-0 draw at Nyayo National Stadium against basement side City Stars as Chemelil Sugar continued their remarkable start to the season by beating KCB 1-0.

But the focus of the afternoon was at City Stadium where struggling Gor faced the 2009 champions in front of their vociferous home fans in a game where Sh910,000 is reported to have been collected at the gate.

Not even afternoon showers that marred the game could deter the Green Army as they filed into their cauldron to rouse their team that had only won one game this season against the second placed side seeking victory to narrow the gap at the top to three points.

Rama Salim, their close season signing from Congo United netted what proved to be the winner in the 42nd minute to send the K’Ogalo support to raptures at the final whistle after their team notched their first win in eight games.

Sofapaka slipped to third six adrift of pace setters AFC Leopards who eked out a hard fought 2-1 win at Thika United on Saturday to take their unbeaten sequence to 23 matches.

Midfielder Humphrey Mieno was among the Sofapaka attackers who found Gor’s custodian; Jerim Onyango in inspired form with 36 minutes gone after his belter was punched away to safety.

With the break approaching, Gor poured forward and Kevin Omondi crossed from the left and Sofapaka defender Eugine Asike subsequently handled the ball in the box as he tried to clear prompting the referee to point to the spot.

Salim coolly slotted the penalty past Duncan Ochieng to net the only goal of the match as Onyango kept Sofapaka at bay in the second as they sought the equaliser with his save in the 79th minute from an Anthony Kimani free-kick standing out.

At Nyayo, Tusker raced to a 2-0 first half lead through Ken Wendo in the 16th and Paul Were in the 24th minutes of the game before substitute Andrew Tololwa made it 2-1 in the 77th before the skipper, Anthony Kimani, rose the highest to net the leveller two minutes from time.

“We played a good game but the luck was not with us on the day and we have to go back and prepare to win the next game,” Were who was awarded the man of the match award in the televised encounter stated.

Earlier in the same venue, City Stars had themselves to blame as their strike force failed to capitalise on the numerous chances they created to sink an out of sorts Ulinzi as the soldiers earned a reprieve at the final whistle.

In Chemelil, Kasim Mohammed fired the cane cutters to second spot on goal difference in the KPL log when his strike secured maximum points against the visiting bankers.