Football Football

KPL, no word from FKF on directives yet


NAIROBI, Kenya, March 20- The Kenyan Premier League (KPL) will only respond to directives issued by Football Kenya Federation over the fracas that marred Sunday’s Gor Mahia and AFC Leopards derby upon receiving official communications.

Speaking to Capital Sport on Tuesday, KPL CEO Jack Oguda disclosed they were yet to receive written communication pertaining to the directives issued by FKF boss Sam Nyamweya a day earlier.

Nyamweya, who spoke after convening an urgent FKF executive meeting, directed KPL to present their report on the skirmishes that rocked the game forcing a 25 minute hold-up blamed on irate Gor fans.

The whip was cracked on KPL head of security, GMT Ottieno who was suspended from all football activity as well as the Logistics man at the league management body, Frank Okoth who was given a week to show cause why he should not be sanctioned over their alleged roles in the flare-up that saw a number of vehicles stoned.

“I have read the reports of what FKF said in the newspapers, websites and electronic media but we are yet to get any written communication from them.

“Some of the things they touched on fall under our responsibility but we cannot respond to them until we receive official communication,” Oguda told Capital Sport.

He added the federation that went ahead to take ticketing and match security functions from the KPL had raised pertinent issues that needed to amicably addressed.

“There are proper channels to deal with such matters and we shall stick to them. What they are reported to have said impacts on our role and we will address it in due course,” Oguda, who would not be drawn into the ramifications of the edicts from FKF noted.

In his diktat, Nyamweya said his federation was not seeking to arrogate KPL’s role in managing the league but was taking measures to ensure that, “Not even one life shall be lost on our stadiums, it is better if we do not have this league.”

The match that turned rowdy after referee Davies Omweno sent off Gor’s Victor Ali for a crude challenge 22 minutes from the whistle has opened the fractious wounds that exist between the two football governing bodies that simmered under the surface since the Nyamweya led team assumed office last October.