NAIROBI, KENYA, January 9 – 2011 KCB National Rally Champion Ian Duncan has been nominated once again for the Motor Sport Personality of the Year award.
Duncan who picked up the award same time last year is nominated alongside, top motorcross rider Shivam Vinayak and Classic Car Cup Champion Aslam Khan for the gala to be held this Saturday at the Mamba Village.
Navigated by Amaar Slatch, Duncan who notched up is sixth national title last year after a commendable season after changing from a four wheel drive monster pick up to the much more quick Mitsubishi EVO9.
He also defended the Ganatra Cross Country buggy class Championship in his ‘fast and furious’ KTM buggy.
With two Classic Car Cup titles notched up Khan will be hoping to win his first sportsman of the year award.
Shivam, will be thanking his flawless ride in the season and will be hoping to scoop the coveted award as he did at the SOYA gala surprising everyone after taking the Most Improved Sportsman award last year.
Other awards to be handed over at the ceremony include the most improved navigator, the best organized rally (awarded to a club), Most improved Autocross competitor, Motocross, Autocross, Cross Country and Enduro.
The final names in the nominees’ list will be named on Saturday.
Below are the names of the top few voted nominees in each category.
1. Neil Granger Brown – Most Improved Motorcycle competitor
2. Most Improved Autocross Competitor
3. John Ngunjiri Memorial – Most consistent crew
Onkar Rai/Andrew Doig
National Oil Rally Crew
Ian Duncan/Amaar Slatch
Joel Muchiri/ Riyaz Ismail
4. Tanveer Alam Memorial – Most Improved Rally Driver
5. William Kimaru Memorial – Most Improved Co-driver
6. Mike Vaughan Ryall Memorial – best rally organization:-
Equator Motor Club – Kisumu
EASRL – KNRC round 1 Voi
Simba Union – Guru Nanak
7. Johnny Hellier Memorial – Contribution to Motorsport
8. Kulwant Singh Chana Memorial – media contribution
9. Ladies Rose Bowl – Most meritorious Lady competitor
10.Motor Sport Personality of the Year