LONDON, England December 16 – Luis Suarez should discover Friday if he has been found guilty of racially abusing Manchester United’s Patrice Evra.
Uruguay’s Suarez, following a month-long investigation, has been charged by the Football Association with abusing Evra during a 1-1 Premier League draw at Anfield on October 15.
But after the second day of evidence on Thursday, there was still no word from the FA about a verdict.
Evra, speaking to French television station Canal Plus immediately after the match, said Suarez had racially abused him “more than 10 times” during the game.
“I was very upset,” Evra said. “In 2011 you can’t say things like this. He knows what he said, the ref knows it, it will come out.
“I won’t repeat what he said, but it was a racist word, and he said it more than ten times. He tried to wind me up. I won’t make a huge deal out of it, but it’s very upsetting and disappointing.”
Evra voiced his complaint to referee Andre Marriner, in charge at Anfield, who included it in his match report and the FA announced the charge against Suarez last month.
Suarez has always denied the charge and Liverpool have been firm in support of their player, with manager Kenny Dalglish saying Thursday: “We have said many times before we cannot say anything which will be prejudicial.
“We are standing right beside him and helping him as much as we possibly can.
“After it’s finished there is a chance to have a conversation. As I said last week the FA should have given you (the media) the information when everything was happening, not us.”
The Daily Telegraph reported on Thursday that Suarez will admit using the word “negro” once, arguing that it was intended as a descriptive expression and not deemed offensive in his native Uruguay.
Liverpool are also expected to attempt to cast doubt on the veracity of Evra’s allegations by citing the official report into a 2008 scuffle between the French international and Chelsea groundstaff, which branded the defender’s testimony “exaggerated and unreliable.”