MANCHESTER, England October 13 – Carlos Tevez is to face a club disciplinary hearing over his apparent refusal to play during last month’s Champions League game against Bayern Munich, Manchester City announced.
City boss Roberto Mancini claimed the Argentina striker and former team captain refused to come on as substitute during the 2-0 defeat at the Allianz Arena.
An internal investigation was launched and now Tevez has been informed he could face further punishment, following an initial two-week ban.
“The club has been conducting an investigation into the events of 27 September at the Allianz Arena,” said a City statement.
“The club has now reached a stage in its investigation where it has concluded that there is a case for Carlos Tevez to answer of alleged breaches of contract.
“Accordingly, the club has informed him that he will face disciplinary proceedings and the hearing will be convened shortly.”
Tevez was suspended the day after the Munich trip, pending the outcome of the investigation.
That internal penalty expires on Thursday and the forward has been told he is expected at City’s Carrington training ground in the morning.
“Carlos will be required to report to Roberto Mancini for training on Thursday,” continued the statement.
It raises the prospect of a rather uncomfortable meeting between the Italian and the man who was his captain last season.
Sources close to the player have previously indicated Tevez would comply with his club’s wishes, and presumably he is now available for Saturday’s home encounter with Aston Villa.
It is difficult to see how Mancini can welcome Tevez back into the fold though, after previously declaring the player was “finished” at City.