Ulinzi crowned KPL champions


NAIROBI, Kenya, November 14- They left it late but better late than never. Ulinzi Stars are the 2010 Kenya Premier League (KPL) champions.A sixth minute strike from Geoffery Kokoyo and an own goal in the second half was all it took for the soldiers to secure their fourth title in seven years infront of a rapturous home crowd at Nakuru’s Afraha Stadium.

“It feels great. I’m very happy because I did not achieve this as a player but I’ve done its as a coach,” said Ulinzi coach Benjamin Nyangweso after the match.

Nyangweso who took over the technical reins after the suspension of Sammy Simiyu added that hard work and determination throughout this season’s campaign were the catalysts for another successful season.

“We came prepared because it was the final match of the season. And the way our preparations went, I knew everything would come our way,” said Nyangweso.

The destiny of the title was also hinged on proceedings at Nairobi’s City Stadium where Gor Mahia drew 0-0 with Nairobi City Stars but the day belonged to Ulinzi who dominated their opponents.

Led by Anthony Nderitu, the Red Shirts tore into their Naivasha with devastating intensity.

For most of the match, Karuturi were chasing shadows although they did give the home defence some edgy moments with some inspired attacks down the flanks.

Sammy Okoth’s defence had a torrid time containing Ulinzi’s rampaging runners as they conceded a lot of corners.

Kokoyo capitalized on one such corner by latching onto a delivery from Nderitu to head the ball into the back of the net for the 1-0 lead.

It was Ulinzi from then on who squandered several chances for much of the game. Such was the confidence within their ranks that keeper Francis Ochieng, a former striker himself came up to take some free kicks on the edge of the visitors box.

As the match wore on, Karuturi found it increasingly difficult to deal with the pressure which was summed up by the own goal in the 53rd minute after Kokoyo’s header came off a blue shirt to seal the deal in Nakuru.