KINGSTON, August 16 – Double sprint world record-holder Usain Bolt says his loss to American rival Tyson Gay will not play on his mind.Bolt, who cut his 2010 season short after losing his first 100m race in two seasons to Gay in Stockholm earlier this the month, returned home last week saying he looks forward to defending his world titles next year in South Korea.
Gay ran a meet-record 9.84sec to win in Sweden while Bolt finished second in 9.97sec.
Bolt insisted his defeat was not a shock, having said this would be a restful year compared to world championship or Olympic years.
"No, I’m not surprised (I lost a race)," Bolt said. "This is just one loss and I did say earlier that if anyone is to be at me it would be this season."
Bolt said the loss could have been a result of him not being in top shape.
"I always said 2010 would be an easy season for me, so if anyone is to beat me it would be this season."
The Olympic double sprint champion also sent out a warning that come the 2011 season, anyone who comes up against him, had better be on top of their game.
"The hard training starts in October," Bolt said. "Then first Monday of October I will be out there working hard as there will be the world championships to look forward to."
Just days after his loss to Gay, Bolt’s management team announced that he would miss the last two meets of the season, a relay in Zurich and the Diamond League finale at Brussels.
Bolt said he is not injured but was shutting down his season early to prevent an injury after a feeling of tightness in his lower back.