Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Modi loses appeal

MUMBAI, July 15- Suspended Indian Premier League chief Lalit Modi was dealt a fresh blow Thursday after a court dismissed his plea to stay disciplinary proceedings initiated against him by India's cricket board.The Bombay High Court also rejected Modi’s demand that a three-member panel set up by the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) to probe a raft of allegations against him be reconstituted.

He has accused the current members — lawyer and politician Arun Jaitley, businessman Chirayu Amin and junior federal minister Jyotiraditya Scindia — of being biased against him.

The court’s order means Modi, 46, will have to appear before the panel here on Friday to answer allegations of corruption, indiscipline and money-laundering in the hugely successful Twenty20 league.

Modi’s lawyer Mehmood Abdi, however, said his client was out of the country and the next step would be decided after receiving the court’s order.

"It is not a setback," Abdi told reporters outside the court. "The certified copy of the order will be with us by the end of day or early tomorrow morning and only then we will be able to plan our next step.

"I cannot comment on our strategy and further plan at the moment. Give us time to think about the next step we have to take."

BCCI chief-executive Ratnakar Shetty welcomed the court order.

"We don’t take this verdict in terms of victory or defeat," he said. "We followed a procedure and it was challenged by Mr Modi in the court. The court has given its directive and he has to appear before the committee."

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Shetty refused to speculate on what action the committee would take if Modi skipped Friday’s disciplinary hearing.

BCCI, which owns the IPL, set up the panel last month to probe charges against Modi who was suspended at the conclusion of the third edition of the hugely popular IPL tournament.

The committee has until October 25 to investigate and look into whether action should be taken against Modi, which could include his permanent expulsion from the BCCI.

Modi’s troubles began in April when he revealed the ownership details of a new franchise set to join the tournament in 2011.

He embarrassed a high-profile member of the government, junior foreign minister Shashi Tharoor, by leaking on Twitter how Tharoor’s girlfriend had been given a free stake in the new team.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved