WELLINGTON, March 10 – Former All Black forward Sione Lauaki has been charged with assault following an early morning confrontation in a New Zealand bar.It follows an investigation by police into an incident in the northern city of Hamilton involving the Waikato Chiefs loose forward on Friday, the Chiefs said in a statement.
The Tongan-born 28-year-old was serving a suspension from the Super 14 competition for a dangerous tackle at the time of the alleged assault.
He will also miss the Canterbury Crusaders clash this Friday.
"Sione and I have decided that in light of the week that he has had, that the right thing to do is not play him in this game," Chiefs coach Ian Foster said.
"We will fully support Sione over the next few weeks," he added.
Lauaki, who played the last of his 17 Tests for the All Blacks in 2008, has been in trouble before.
Last year, he was ordered to attend an anger management course by a court after being charged with damaging an Auckland motel and in 2006 he assaulted a a doorman.