PARIS, October 14 – France coach Raymond Domenech on Tuesday welcomed Juventus striker David Trezeguet's comments about wanting to return to the national set-up.
Trezeguet, 31, announced his retirement from international football after being left out of Domenech’s squad for the 2008 European Championship, but recently said he would like to be involved in November’s World Cup play-off matches.
"I like it when players say that they want to play, to hear that players need the French team and want to play for it," Domenech said.
"It’s healthy, it’s good."
France face Austria here on Wednesday in their final group seven qualifying match, having already secured a place in the play-offs behind group leaders and automatic qualifiers Serbia.
The 1998 World Cup winners have flattered to deceive during their qualifying campaign, with goals in particularly short supply, and captain Thierry Henry also declared himself pleased at the prospect of Trezeguet’s return.
"It’s good," said Henry, a former team-mate of Trezeguet’s at Monaco.
"David was injured last year. David is David. You could put him in any team at the age of 60 and if there were any chances they would fall to him.
"He’s extraordinary, but at the end of the day it’s down to the coach. It’s great to hear that though."
In an interview with French sport daily L’Equipe published on Tuesday, Trezeguet said that he was still available for selection.
"I’ve not turned my back on the French team," he said.
"I’m always available during this difficult time."
Speaking after France’s group-stage exit at Euro 2008 last year, Trezeguet laid the blame for his retirement firmly at Domenech’s door, saying: "The disappointing Euro and the backing shown to the coach have forced me to take this irreversible decision."