Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World

Backers pull the plug on Renault

SINGAPORE, September 24- Disgraced Formula One giants Renault suffered another devastating blow on Thursday when the team's main sponsors severed their contract with immediate effect in another twist to the Singapore GP race-fix scandal.

RENAULT_ING_583601527.jpgDutch banking group ING said that their three-year deal will be terminated after Renault were handed a two-year suspended ban following former driver Nelson Piquet’s claims that he had been ordered to deliberately crash at the 2008 Singapore race.

Former team principal Flavio Briatore, who quit the team in the aftermath of the crisis, was also handed a lifetime ban when the FIA’s World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on Monday.

"ING announced today (Thursday) that in light of the verdict of the World Motor Sport Council of 21 September 2009 concerning the events that occurred at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, ING will terminate the contract with Renault Formula 1 with immediate effect," said an ING statement.

"ING is deeply disappointed at this turn of events, especially in the context of an otherwise successful sponsorship.

"As announced on 16 February of this year, ING decided not to renew the three year sponsorship (2007-2009) contract with Renault F1 and to end its presence in Formula 1 after the 2009 season."

Fellow sponsor Mutua Madrilena also announced they were ending their agreement with Renault, blaming the team’s "substantial breach" of the sport’s regulations.

Like ING, the Spanish company will remove its name and logos from the cars.

Meanwhile, Renault attempted to start drawing a line under the cheating affair by announcing they would withdraw their threat of legal action against Piquet and the driver’s father Nelson Piquet senior, a former world champion.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Briatore had launched legal proceedings against the Piquets accusing them of blackmail.

7 Comments

7 Comments

  1. Kagrr

    March 13, 2013 at 2:57 pm

    God will bless you Ambassador, it is good to see your habour no grudge against those who falsely accused you. The torment this case brought to you towards the end of your illustrious career in public service cannot be described. Kenyans have been with you in our prayers and eventually the truth has triumphed.
    As you have stated the Judges will have the wisdom to see trueth from falsehoods in the remaining cases and from what is coming out the case of your co-accused is collapsing.

  2. Duncan Muchina

    March 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm

    Is it possible to sue the ICC?

  3. O-Kimani

    March 13, 2013 at 5:33 pm

    Pole sana Mzee. Kuna watu wambaya sana hapa duniani. Wanaweza kuuza hata mvi ili wapate madaraka ya serikali. Naye Mungu halali! Ushindi wake huusambaza mchana kuwaaibisha hawa wenye nia mbaya. Uhuru ni Rais, Muthaura ako huru….Kuna Mungu!

  4. James Wainaina

    March 14, 2013 at 7:56 am

    When I first heard that Ambassador Muthaura had been indicted by the ICC, for allegedly holding a meeting at State House with Mungiki to plan the death of some people I thought
    to myself, that’s the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. I tried to imagine Mr
    Muthaura, the renowned diplomat, former ambassador to the UN, soft spoken,
    dignified, family man on the verge of retirement – sitting across a state house
    table with a group of wild-eyed, snuff-sniffing band of mungiki gang and I said
    no, this is absolute nonsense. The fact that Ocampo decided to
    take this claim as evidence without further investigation, not bothering to
    even interview Mr Muthaura, made me rather suspicious of the prosecutor’s
    intention. Why would he chose to believe whatever was said by people of
    questionable character without giving a prominent diplomat a chance to try and
    shed light on the allegation? Was it that his view of Kenyans was the famous
    “ÿou all look the same to me” or did he have a hidden agenda? Mr
    Muthaura’s lawyer Mr Karim Khan, in his interview with K24 indicated that
    Ocampo, knowing of his impending departure from the ICC was probably in a hurry
    to prosecute somebody. (anybody, and to
    hell with justice!- Justice for those people who died and suffered untold
    misery) And the world was happy, the UN was happy, because the “the
    perpetrators of crimes against humanity were being brought to book”. And
    here at home we joined in the song and dance, knowing well the folly and
    mistake that had been made, but preferring to conveniently use this matter to
    settle scores. God help us.

  5. Mwenyeinchi

    March 17, 2013 at 7:59 am

    Question; Is the title “Ambassador” something you earn and walk away with from the job or for Muthaura is hereditary????? coz for min’ i thought he got worshipers.

    • Peter Karimurio

      March 17, 2013 at 11:52 am

      once an actual Ambassador, always an Ambassador. all of them keep the title, not only him

  6. mkenya

    March 19, 2013 at 2:31 pm

    first and foremost pole. at least there was no need to be happy after icc destroyed your career i believe you need to seek justice by suing the icc and that bearded brute moreno ocampo at least compensation is in order. thanks for your good service to this country

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Oct 27 – DStv and GOtv subscribers are in for a treat of the world’s best football this week as the 2020-21...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, Sep 6 – Gentrix Shikangwa scored with two minutes left as Vihiga Queens sailed to the final of the CECAFA regional qualifiers...

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

© 2022 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved