SAO PAOLO, 28 July – Three-time FIFA player of the year Ronaldo will be sidelined for at least five weeks while he recovers from a double fracture of his left hand, his Brazilian club Corinthians said on Monday.The 32-year-old striker – a two-time World Cup winner and all-time leading World Cup finals scorer – suffered the injury when he fell during a match against rivals Palmeiras, the club’s doctor Paolo de Faria said.
The former PSV Eindhoven, Barcelona, Real Madrid and AC Milan star had been making a gradual return to form since joining the Brazilian team in December.
The injury-prone striker was enjoying a rare seven-match run free of medical problems until the latest accident happened.
Last week it was announced that the three-time world player of the year was to star in a film about a Palestinian child fan of his who dies in a refugee camp.
Ronaldo was scheduled to be with his club Corinthians in the Middle East – for a September 15 friendly in the Palestinian Territories against fellow Brazilians Fluminense.