SYDNEY, June 29 – Greg Norman has committed to play in the next three Australian Opens, starting with this year's event at the NSW Golf Club, according to Golf Australia.
Norman, 54, will make his return at the coastal New South Wales course from December 3-6, three years after he last played in the tournament.
The former world number one, who now plays part-time but enjoyed a resurgence after finishing equal third in last year’s British Open, is a five-time winner of his national Open.
Norman said he hoped his participation would entice Australia’s leading players to come back and support the Australian Open, which has struggled to attract prominent overseas golfers in recent years.
"You hope that the top Australian players will support it," Norman told reporters.
"I’ve been a huge proponent of that for more than 30 years.
"It’s up to the players. We’ll give them the opportunity.
"We’ll tell them how great the Australian Open is, to some of the (international) players who haven’t been here."
Norman finished 26th when he last played the Australian Open, in 2005 at Royal Sydney.
The 2010 Open is set down for The Lakes course in Sydney. The 2011 venue has yet to be confirmed.