Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

English Premiership

Everton aim for Champions League

LIVERPOOL, April 6 – David Moyes believes Everton can still achieve a Champions League place next season and break the stranglehold of Manchester United, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal.

TIM_CAHILLEverton romped to their best win of the season on Sunday, a 4-0 home victory against Wigan, but they remain in sixth place in the Premier League table, seven points behind fourth-placed Arsenal.

"The Champions League is still there for us, we are not going to give up," said Everton boss Moyes.

"Arsenal have got the points and are coming into form with players back from injury. We are not going to give up, but realistically it will be a tough call to catch them now.

"It was a good performance, a good result and another clean sheet. I was pleased with much of what I saw. The hardest thing is to get your players going again after internationals, you never know how they are. They have all had a couple of games and a lot of travel, but they have every right to be tired.

"But the ones who have travelled the furthest, Tim Cahill and Steven Pienaar, were excellent." Brazil striker Jo scored twice for Everton.

Jo, on loan from Manchester City, opened the scoring in the 26th minute with a low shot after good work by Leon Osman. Two goals early in the second-half settled the match.

Tony Hibbert’s low cross found Marouane Fellaini, who was given time and space by Wigan’s defence, before scoring his seventh goal of the season.

Minutes later, when Fellaini’s shot was palmed out by Wigan goalkeeper Chris Kirkland, Jo pounced from close range.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Kirkland’s failure to hold another shot, this time a 20-yard effort from Fellaini on the hour mark, allowed Osman to score Everton’s fourth.

Wigan manager Steve Bruce is still angry at the failure of Egyptian striker Amr Zaki to return from international duty.

Bruce would not go as far as to say that Zaki’s time at the JJB stadium was coming to an end, but he will want to discover exactly what is wrong with 26 year-old who hit 11 goals for the club earlier in the season.

"I find it ridiculous that this club who have given him his chance in England – and pay him very well I might add – are not being treated properly," said Bruce.

"We are not being shown any respect, it is totally nonsensical. We believe he has a hamstring, but we do not know how bad because we have not been able to assess him."

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Advertisement

More on Capital Sports

Football

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 25 – There is light at the end of the tunnel. After failed promises over the last three years since its...

Athletics

NAIROBI, Kenya, June 8 – Olympic Champion Caster Semenya and wife Violet Raseboya have hinted that they might be expecting a baby in a...

NFL

NAIROBI, Kenya, Aug 13 – Kenya’s history making Daniel Adongo, the first Kenyan to play in America’s National Football League (NFL), is now living...

Features

NAIROBI, Kenya, May 17 – The Kakamega High School ‘Green Commandos’ have produced a plethora of talent over the past decades in Kenyan football...

© 2020 Capital Digital Media. Capital Group Limited. All Rights Reserved