NAIROBI, Kenya, April 3 – Thousands of spectators were treated to some exhilarating display of rallying as Kenyan drivers dominated Day one’s Leg 1A of the KCB Safari Rally 2009 at Uhuru Park on Friday.
Kenya’s Baldev Chager and Alastair Cavenagh are joint overnight leaders after clocking 1.08 minutes at the 0.94Km spectator stage at the spectator stage in Uhuru Park.
Joint third- 0.09 seconds behind were 2007 Kenya Champion Carl Tundo, Riyaz Kurji of Uganda, Emma Katto also from Uganda, Tanzania Pirelli star driver Navraj Hans and Rwandese Giancarlo Davite.
It was a bitter pill for series leaders, the Zimbabwean oldies Jamie Whyte and Phil Achenoul who could only manage 32nd position.
Archenoul staunchly maintained they were not at home with short and tight stages. “We spun twice and lost quite some seconds. But I must admit that Kenyan boys are hot shots. Our strategy is to be near the podium and get top on the African Rally Championship list,” Archenoul said.
Ugandan Jas Mangat finished last in the main category after he checked in early at the railway Club holding point. Mangat was joint third at the spectator stage with 1.10minutes but had to contend with a 10 second penalty.
Briton Ian Freestone in a Ford Escort RS was the overnight leader in the supplementary class. Freestone clocked 1.13minutes beating veteran Aslam Khan (Ford Escort RS) by four second.
Jasmeet Chana led the 13 drivers in the 2WD class in 1.17minutes.
2009 KCB SAFARI RALLY PROVISIONAL RESULTS AFTER LEG 1A
1. Baldev Chager/Farakh Yusuf (Subaru Impreza N12) 1:08
2. Alastair Cavenagh/Saleem Haji (Mitsubishi EVO 9) 1:08
3. Carl Tundo/Tim Jessop (Mitsubishi EVO 9) 1:09
4. Riyaz Kurji/Sayed Kadri (Subaru Impreza N8) 1:09
5. Emmanuel Katto/Moses Matovu (Subaru Impreza N14) 1:09
6. Navraj Hans/Frank Gitau (Mitsubishi EVO 9) 1:09
7. GiancarloDavite/Sylvia Videnvogel (Subaru Impreza N11) 1:09
8. Jas Mangat/David Israel (Subaru Impreza N12) 1:10,
9. Olivier Costa/Paolo Paganin (Subaru Impreza N11) 1:10
10 Muna Singh/David Sioka (Subaru Impreza N10) 1: