LONDON, February 19 – Mark Clattenburg successfully appealed on Wednesday against his dismissal as one of England's elite referees.
However, he has still been banned for eight months.
The 33-year-old was axed following a disciplinary inquiry held by the Professional Game Match Officials limited – the body in charge of top-flight referees – last month for "issues relating to his private business affairs".
But the Premier League said that, following an appeal by Clattenburg, a panel ruled he should be handed a less severe punishment.
He has therefore been banned for eight months from August 6, 2008 – the date of his original suspension.
A PGMO statement said: "Mark Clattenburg has been reminded of his responsibilities and contractual obligations as a select group official, particularly in regard to full disclosure of any outside business interests.
"PGMO is confident that he has the ability to regain his position as one of English football’s top officials."
Clattenburg had been due to take charge of August’s Charity Shield match between Manchester United and Portsmouth but was replaced by Peter Walton after accusations he’d allegedly threatened a business associate in an email.
Clattenburg made history as the youngest referee since World War II in the Football League in August 2000, at 25, and was on world governing body FIFA’s elite list of officials at the age of 30.