Miley Cyrus is the only celebrity to have ranked on both TIME magazine’s Best Dressed and Worst Dressed of 2013 lists.
The controversial singer has once again polarised opinions thanks to her daring dress sense by taking the crown for Worst Dressed celebrity and making the top ten in the publication’s annual Best Dressed list.
The ‘We Can’t Stop’ hitmaker’s tackiest sartorial moment came during her infamous August appearance at the MTV VMAs, where she wore nude-coloured latex underwear and scraped her hair back into childlike buns.
However, Miley redeemed herself with her elegant ensemble at the FGI’s 30th Annual Night Of Stars Gala in a sparkly floor-length gown by Marc Jacobs.
TIME magazine justified the 21-year-old star’s rankings by writing: “Miley’s schizophrenic fashion this year has landed her on both our best and worst dressed lists … After a summer spent shocking America with increasingly provocative getups – she told MTV that her ultimate look was a mix of ‘white trash and Chanel’- the former Hannah Montana did an about-face with this Marc Jacobs gown for Fashion Group International’s Night of Stars.
“The glittery green dress with a daringly low back is just the right mix of youthfulness and sparkle for the pop star. No furry animals, no crazy hemlines, no tongue wagging; here, Miley is dazzling and, dare we say, elegant.”
It comes as no surprise that actress-of-the-moment Jennifer Lawrence was crowned the best dressed star of 2013 for the pale pink princess Dior gown she donned to the Oscars, while Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge came second for her elegant pregnancy style, in particular the pale blue Emilia Wickstead dress she wore during a visit to the National Portrait Gallery.
Meanwhile Kim Kardashian was hot on Miley’s heels in her “curtain”-inspired Met Ball gown by Riccardo Tisci for Givenchy, and Anne Hathaway’s pink nipple-enhancing Prada gown at the Oscars earned her the third spot on the Worst Dressed list.
TIME’s Top 10 Best Dressed stars are:
1. Jennifer Lawrence in Dior
2. Kate Middleton in Emilia Wickstead
3. Rihanna in Azzedine Alaïa
4. Jane Fonda in Atelier Versace
5. Kate Hudson in Alexander McQueen
6. Miley Cyrus in Marc Jacobs
7. Mariah Carey’s sling bling
8. Selena Gomez in Atelier Versace
9. Channing Tatum in Gucci
10. Solange Knowles in Michael Kors
TIME’s Top 10 Worst Dressed stars are:
1. Miley Cyrus in nude latex bikini
2. Kim Kardashian in Givenchy
3. Anne Hathaway in Prada
4. Z LaLa in silver star concoction
5. Justin Bieber in gas mask
6. Florence Welch in Miu Miu
7. Zosia Mamet in Honor
8. Julianne Hough in Jenny Packham
9. Ke$ha’s side butt in Givenchy
10. Rita Ora in Ulyana Sergeenko