Radu Calincescu from Bacau, Romania, was rushed to hospital with “intense pain” after betting with a pal that he could swallow a metal fork without harming himself.
The 25-year-old said he was trying to impress his friend with the stunt but soon felt discomfort in his gut and was taken to A&E.
Mr Calincescu failed to tell doctors about the incident but they quickly spotted the object lodged in his throat during an X-Ray, reports The Metro newspaper.
He explained: “I had been drinking and I bet with my friend that I could swallow the fork without getting hurt. I realise now it was a very stupid thing to do. I don’t think I will be taking part in any bets for a while.”