Labrador Macy came to feline Rory’s rescue as he required a blood transfusion after ingesting rat poison.
Rory’s vet Kate Heller suggested using the 18-year-old pooch’s blood as Rory’s blood type could not be checked because there weren’t any laboratories open at the time.
She told 3news: “It was one of those situations that it was a do-or-die. So he would have died if we did nothing.”
Rory’s owner Kim Edwards called her friends to see if anyone had a pooch available to use, and in a stroke of luck one of her pals allowed her to see if Macy’s blood was compatible.