A herd of cows in Germany farted out so much methane gas that a static electric charge caused their barn to go up in flames, leaving one of the animals injured.
Ninety flatulent cows living in a farm shed in the central German town of Rasdorf gave off so much gas that the roof went up in flames and left one of the animals injured.
In a statement, local police said: “A static electric charge caused the gas to explode with flashes of flames.”
The barn blaze was caused by the farmyard animals’ farts – which emit methane gas – and the injured cow had to be treated for burns.
Just one of the animals is capable of giving off enough methane in one day to fill 400 litre bottles, meaning all ninety cows could have produced up to 36,000 litres worth of the gas.