Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

top
Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe.

Capital Health

Govt declares lockdown in Eastleigh and Old Town in Mombasa

NAIROBI, Kenya May 6 – The government has now declared a cessation of movement in Nairobi’s Eastleigh and Old Town area of Mombasa, following increased cases of COVID-19 since last week.

“There will no movement into and out of Eastleigh and Old Town in Mombasa from 7pm today,” Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said in his briefing on Wednesday when he announced 47 new positive cases, raising the total infections in the country to 582.

“I warned you that cases are increasing and you can see we have more cases,” he said.

Health Cabinet Secretary Mutahi Kagwe said of the new infections, 32 are from Mombasa, 11 in Nairobi, two cases in Busia and one each in Kiambu and Kwale counties.

The increased cases are attributed to the ongoing mass testing across the country and are expected to increase further according to CS Kagwe, with focus on Eastleigh in Nairobi and Old Town in Mombasa- where a cessation of movement has been affected effective 7pm for 15 days.

“The situation in those areas has become of serious concern to us,” the CS said.

The number of recoveries in the country has also risen by eight to 190 with fatality figures jumping to 26, after two people in Mombasa succumbed to the virus at their homes.

Consequently, Kagwe said, markets and eateries in the two areas will remain closed and public transport suspended for the period of the lockdown.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Kagwe further announced that Kenyans placed under government quarantine facilities will not incur any cost with the government committing to foot their bills after people shunned mass testing for fear of associated costs.

“This is to facilitate those who may feel that they do not want to go for testing because of the cost of quarantine that is no longer the case. Kenyans should therefore forthwith not be afraid,” he said.

Those in government quarantine facilities were initially being charged Sh2, 000 daily.

Comments
Advertisement

More on Capital News

County News

The anti-graft agency on Saturday said their investigations which commenced in 2020 revealed that Mbogho acquired the monies between 2015 to 2017.

AUGUST 9 COUNTDOWN

IEBC Chairperson Wafula Chebukati said the move is aimed at strengthening the participation of all players, including the media, in electoral matters specifically on...

NAIROBI EXPRESSWAY

Oguna made the statement after the Kenya National Highways Authority (KeNHA) linked the crash to over speeding.

LAND REGISTRY REFORMS

Cabinet Secretary for Lands Farida Karoney on Saturday said that the ministry had already gazetted 84,000 land parcels set to migrate to the Land...

EDUCATION

CBC implantation has faced headwinds with the main challenges being lack of adequate infrastructure and teaching personnel trained on the CBC curriculum.

EDUCATION

Although CS Magoha did not cite specific reasons, he alluded to other opportunities including those that may have opted to study abroad.

NATIONAL NEWS

LSK President Eric Theuri said the ongoing supremacy battles between the two agencies were promoting injustice and hindering the execution of the mandates of...

AUGUST 9 COUNTDOWN

Deputy President William Ruto will on the other end popularize his bid in Kwale and Mombasa counties.